Archive

Archive for the ‘Starvation’ Category

Abusive mother says “It’s the government’s fault”.

December 22, 2011 Leave a comment

A woman found guilty of abusing two of her children has hit back, saying she is “not really a bad mother”. She blames Social Welfare for not helping her enough, and has taken little responsibility for the horrific abuse she inflicted on her 9-year-old daughter, who was found hiding in a cupboard starving, dehydrated, bruised and suffering from broken bones and anemia from internal bleeding and her scalp had been half torn off.

Meanwhile the NZ government has released the Smith report, which details the history of involvement that government agencies have had with both the mother and the child in the article below.

Mum is girl’s worst nightmare.

An Auckland mother found guilty of horrific child abuse went to jail saying she is “not really a bad mother”. The woman, 31, who has name suppression, was sentenced to seven and a half years in prison with a non-parole period of five years when she appeared in the Auckland District Court yesterday.

The 10-year-old girl is so terrified she has nightmares her mother will get out of jail, find her and continue the beatings. Emotional pleas by the girl and her eight-year-old brother were read to Auckland District Court yesterday as their west Auckland mother was jailed for sustained and horrific abuse against them.

“I still have nightmares about what happened to me. In my dreams my mother and father are out of jail and trying to find me to hurt me some more,” the girl said in a victim impact statement. Her brother, through a statement he insisted was read to court, told judge Brooke Gibson he wanted his parents to stay in jail for a long time.

“I was hurt for a long time so I think they should stay where they are for a long time too. “There is nothing nice about my mum. I can’t think of any good things. I can think of lots of bad things. I don’t know why I was hit so much but I think it was because I wasn’t good enough.”

The case came to light last year when the girl, aged nine at the time, was found hiding in a cupboard in her home. She was starving, dehydrated, bruised and suffering from broken bones and anaemia from internal bleeding and her scalp had been half torn off.

The case appalled the nation and has been dubbed one of the worst abuse cases in which a child had lived. The mother pleaded guilty to 25 charges, including tearing off the girl’s toe nail and pouring boiling water and salt over the bleeding toe.

She wrote abusive comments on the girl’s body, kicked her in the vaginal area, and assaulted her with weapons, including a machete, broom handle and table leg. The mother also abused her son, who was seven at the time.

The mother has spoken out, saying she is not a bad parent and was simply trying to protect her other three children. “I’m a bad mum for what I done to the child but I’m not really a bad mother at all.”

She told counsellors she was reaching breaking point over her daughter’s deteriorating behaviour, she said. She hit her daughter on the bottom with a broomstick multiple times because she “couldn’t handle it anymore”, she told Radio Live.

“They said that I tortured her, I didn’t torture her. Yes I did assault her, I slapped her around, I punched her.” Defence lawyer Lorraine Smith said the mother’s actions were those of a woman let down by the system and multiple agencies, a statement that angered cabinet minister Paula Bennett.

“My submission is that both the Prime Minister and the Minister for Social Development failed both [the child] and her mother.” The mother wrote to Prime Minister John Key asking for help. He passed the letter on to Social Development Minister Paula Bennett, who replied offering six additional counselling sessions for the girl.

“In hindsight I wish I was writing back and saying the police are knocking on your door we’re removing your children from you right now,” Ms Bennett said. But blame for the horrific abuse lay squarely with the parents, she said.

“That child was so deeply failed by those very parents that were supposed to protect her, so it’s fine to sit back now and try and blame someone else or the Government while in the meantime you are dehydrating, starving and beating your child.

“I’m afraid, no I don’t stand and take responsibility for that, she should stand up and take it herself.” The girl has been in Child Youth and Family (CYF) care since she was four months old. She was returned to her mother after being allegedly sexually abused by a family member whose care she was in.

More than 25 agencies had dealt with the family, including 13 in the six months leading up to the mother’s arrest. A ministerial inquiry into the case was released yesterday and made 13 recommendations, including new CYF liaison workers for schools, mandatory reporting of abuse and neglect, urgent research on ‘family-first’ care and a new child protection court.

Wikipedia: t definition: the 20th letter of the English alphabet.

Advertisements

Neglected 5-year-old sent to school smelly, hungry and riddled with head lice and scabies.

December 6, 2011 Leave a comment

Sian Corbett-Pitman

Contender for mother-of-the-year Sian Corbett-Pitman has been convicted of neglecting her 5-year-old daughter.

A couple of pearls of wisdom from her Bookface page: “life is to short, so live it up, drink it down, party hard, smoke alot, break the rules, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh loudly, have fun, make memories, and never forget or regret anything that once made you smile :)”

and

“I Like to Take Long Romantic Walks to the Liquor Store”.

Mother admits neglecting daughter, 5

A mum who sent her 5-year-old daughter to school smelly, hungry and riddled with head lice and scabies has been convicted of neglect. Sian Corbett-Pitman, 23, from Tauranga, was sentenced last week to 12 months’ intensive supervision and 100 hours’ community work. She had pleaded guilty.

Her lawyer, Tony Rickard-Simms, said in court his client was “naive, inexperienced and had difficulty caring for herself, let alone a child” and she recognised she needed help. After the girl’s condition deteriorated between February and June this year, Child, Youth and Family was told and the girl and her mother were taken to Tauranga Hospital.

The girl’s appearance was described as unkempt, her clothes were often dirty and as well as being heavily infested with head lice, she had not bathed. She often told her teacher she had not had breakfast and did not have any lunch.

The child was placed in her grandmother’s care and she is now attending another school. Corbett-Pitman told police she had noticed her daughter’s health had deteriorated and believed it was because of overcrowding at her home.

Judge Harding told Corbett-Pitman that, while the offending may have occurred at a time when her home was grossly overcrowded, she had let the situation go on for too long.

“Your standard of care to your daughter fell well below the standard expected by anyone. If you can’t do better than that, then no doubt Child, Youth and Family will remove the child from your care, which overall would probably be a bad thing because a child needs its mother.

Judge Harding added: “But if you can’t look after her appropriately, then someone else will.”

 

Severely abused 9-year-old found hiding in cupboard.

December 18, 2010 28 comments

An update to this post: From www.stuff.co.nz

Police and social workers are appalled at the alleged abuse of a nine-year-old girl whose body was covered in bruises when she was found hiding in a wardrobe in a west Auckland house. Her parents received name suppression when they appeared in the Waitakere District Court yesterday on 36 charges of abusing the nine-year-old and another child, aged seven. They were released on bail to appear again next week.

Social workers said in court documents the nine-year-old had been abused so badly that almost every part of her body was covered in injuries, including part of her scalp torn off her head as she was dragged down the hall, the New Zealand Herald reported. She was found by police last month after they were called to her home for what is believed to have been a domestic dispute.

At hospital she was found to be starving, dehydrated and anaemic from internal bleeding. She had a broken bone in her foot and extensive bruising all over her body. Her father, 32, faced charges of assaulting her between January 2009 and November this year, using a broomstick and a vacuum pipe as weapons, and assaulting her during over eight days in November.

Her mother, 30, faced charges of injuring with intent, assault with various weapons, wilful neglect by failing to seek medical help, withholding food, and causing grievous bodily harm. She was also charged with assaulting another child, aged seven, with a table leg and an unknown weapon.

It was believed the girl was as removed from her parents by Child Youth and Family (CYF) soon after she was born and returned to them two years ago, the newspaper reported. Court documents allege the girl had been violently beaten since the beginning of 2009, sometimes with a stick.

In April this year, her mother allegedly repeatedly punched her in the face and hands. She did not get medical treatment for the girl but was believed to have gone to the doctor herself after breaking bones in both her hands during the beating. In November her father allegedly beat her with a vacuum cleaner and a broomstick.

It was alleged the child’s mother attacked her almost daily and in November used a broomstick, punched her in the face and body, bent her toenail backwards and caused grievous bodily harm with a hammer, the newspaper reported. She was also allegedly hit with a broomstick and a table leg, repeatedly punched in the face and body, and kicked in the groin with steel-capped boots.

Her toenail was allegedly torn off and salt and boiling water poured on to the bleeding wound. She was allegedly put in a hot bath and had her head held under water, was starved of food and forced to stand in the corner, sometimes naked, without moving.

Detective Sergeant Megan Goldie said police, and others associated with the inquiry, had all been affected by the girl’s injuries. The girl may need counselling for the rest of her life. CYF northern regional director Grant Bennett said staff were shocked by the “horrific abuse” and it was deeply upsetting she had been abused by the people who were caring for her.

It’s official: NZ one of the most violent countries in the developed world.

March 28, 2010 Leave a comment

NZ murder record among worst.

The murder and manslaughter of about 100 people a year makes New Zealand one of the most violent countries in the developed world, according to a new independent report. New Zealand has been given a “D” rating on a report card prepared by the New Zealand Institute, because of its high rates of violent deaths and child abuse.

This weekend, the United Nations Human Rights Committee expressed concern at New Zealand’s high rates of child abuse, and recommended the Government encourage reporting of suspected abuse, and ensure the perpetrators are brought to justice.

According to the New Zealand Institute, only Mexico, Finland, Hungary and the gun-toting US have higher “assault mortality” rates in the 30-member OECD, the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. Australia’s violent killing rate is half that of New Zealand’s, while table leaders Japan and Britain have only a quarter the per capita rate.

The chickens have come home to roost. What we are seeing is the result of years of politically correct, hug-a-crim, no-one is responsible, blame-the-system type governing by the previous government, as our corrections minister Judith Collins indicates below:

Police and Corrections Minister Judith Collins attributed the high violent death rate to those “beating up their families” and those – usually relatives – who turned a blind eye. “The people who hit and kill and starve children are who should be blamed,” she said.

A string of policies to combat violence, from teenage boot camps to on-the-spot police protection orders, were examples of more proactive policing, she said. But government agencies were “often the ambulance at the bottom of the cliff”.

She said New Zealand had a culture of making excuses and blaming government departments, rather than holding violent offenders responsible for their actions. Criminologist Greg Newbold, like Collins, was not surprised by the D rating.

He said Kiwis had to recognise they had a problem, and blamed political correctness for a government failure to deal with “shameful” Maori assault and child abuse statistics. He said many children were brought up witnessing violent talk and behaviour and then copying it.

Full article here.

At least 17 years jail for daughters murder.

December 15, 2009 2 comments

A man has been jailed for at least 17 years for the “callous and cruel” murder of his 11-week-old daughter Tahani Mahomed. Azees Mahomed, 31, received the mandatory sentence of life imprisonment but will serve a higher minimum sentence of 17 years because of serious aggravating factors.

He was also sentenced on two counts of causing Tahani grievous bodily harm to five years jail on each charge, to be served concurrently with the life sentence. A five year term for failing to provide the necessaries of life, to be served concurrently, was also imposed.

His wife Tabbasum Mahomed, 26, was jailed for four years for failing to provide the necessaries of life. She was not charged with murder. The parents were found guilty after a 12 day trial in November.

Father found guilty of 11-week-old's murder.

November 5, 2009 Leave a comment

A South Auckland man accused of starving, beating and finally killing his 11-week-old daughter has been found guilty of murder. The 12 day trial for Azees Mahomed, 31, and his wife Tabbasum Mahomed, 26, came to a close at Auckland’s High Court yesterday morning. The six-woman and five-man jury deliberated for five hours before returning the unanimous verdicts this morning.

The couple’s daughter, 11-week-old Tahani Mahomed, died in Auckland’s Starship Hospital on New Years Day, 2008, after she arrived at Middlemore Hospital on December 28, 2007, with severe head injuries. Azees Mahomed was found guilty of murdering Tahani.

The jury also found him guilty of two charges of grievous bodily harm – which relate to breaking his daughter’s leg and giving her a head injury so severe it caused brain damage between October 7 and December 26, 2007 – and one count of failing to provide the necessaries of life. Tabbasum Mahomed was found guilty of one charge of failing to provide the necessaries of life.

'Forgive me please, give us peace'

October 29, 2009 Leave a comment
578

An update to this post.

The parents of a dead baby could be heard praying to Allah and talking about how the infant could have been fatally injured in secretly intercepted conversations played to a High Court jury yesterday. On the day of 11-week-old Tahani Mahomed’s funeral, her parents, Azees Mahomed, 31, and Tabbasum Mahomed, 26, also spoke of their desire to have their older daughter, Tasmia, returned to them.

The 3-year-old was taken away from them by authorities when police launched a homicide inquiry into Tahani’s death. The girl died on January 1, 2008 from serious head injuries police believe were non-accidental. Mr Mahomed is on trial for her murder, two counts of causing her grievous bodily harm and failing to provide the necessaries of life. Mrs Mahomed is also accused of this but is not charged with murder.