Archive

Archive for the ‘Killing’ Category

Maori Child Abuse

May 15, 2016 2 comments

133233fb-6e7e-4385-952e-ff9a8b99bafc

Maori children are four times more likely to suffer from abuse and neglect than white children in New Zealand, but mentioning this inconvenient statistic in the media will get you branded as a racist.

Gamer jailed for critically injuring baby.

December 19, 2014 Leave a comment
Devon Ashley Bird

Devon Ashley Bird

Waipukurau man Devon Ashley Bird, 21, appeared in Napier District Court this morning for sentencing after pleading guilty to ill-treating a child and causing grievous bodily harm with reckless disregard last month.

Full article here.

Accused murderer of baby named.

July 10, 2014 1 comment
Charlie Lackner (accused) with baby Cassius Takiari.

Charlie Lackner (accused) with baby Cassius Takiari.

Charlie Lackner, 33, of Hamilton East, appeared before the High Court at Hamilton this morning to face a charge of murdering his 8-month-old son Cassius Takiari.

Full article here.

Imagine the pain on being punched in the stomach so hard that your organs split in two.

October 29, 2012 14 comments

James Joseph Ruhe Lawrence

For an adult, this would probably be similar to a full force kick to the abdomen from the hind leg of a horse. Imagine also being absolutely terrified and completely confused as to why it was happening to you, and utterly powerless to do anything to stop it.

You can try but I bet you can’t come close to the horrors experienced by two-year-old JJ Lawrence in the hours before his death at the fists of Joel Loffley, 29, the boyfriend of JJ’s mother Josephine Lawrence.

Anthony Lawrence Roma will kill again.

February 21, 2012 1 comment

I have no doubt that we will soon be seeing this name in the news again soon, as we read about the violent death of another innocent child.

Anthony Lawrence Roma, 45, who was jailed for life after breaking into a Napier home and murdering 7-year-old Simon Reaney in 1991, was released on parole last December 14th.

‘Kill a Pakeha’ murderer released (Pakeha is a derogatory term used by Maori when referring to white skinned people).

A man who bashed to death a seven-year-old boy, believing he had to “kill a Pakeha” during a drug-induced psychotic episode, has been released on parole. Anthony Lawrence Roma, 45, was jailed for life after breaking into a Napier home and murdering Simon Reaney in 1991.

He bludgeoned Simon to death with a car jack before trying to kill his father and then his 11-year-old brother, who was put on life support for two weeks. Roma was at the time suffering a drug- and alcohol-induced psychotic episode during which he said voices had told him to “kill a Pakeha”.

He told a psychiatrist he believed he was a Maori warrior and had to kill, but an insanity plea was rejected at trial. Roma was released on parole in 2003, but was recalled to prison the following year for breaching his parole conditions by committing an indecent act in a Manukau shopping mall.

The Parole Board last month granted his second release from prison, saying he he had made “huge changes in his life” since he was recalled. While his crime was appalling and the Reaneys remained devastated by their tragic loss, Roma had credibly expressed remorse for what he had done, said the board.

“He has an insight into his own offending and behaviour and an openness about him which was never previously the case,” it said. Roma has recently been housed in a self-care unit, and has been allowed on several home leave stints and escorted shopping trips. He has also been participating in a release-to-work scheme.

Roma was assessed as a medium to high risk of sexual reoffending, and medium risk of other offending, but the board said the risk was offset by an “excellent release proposal” which would see him living at the home of a firm ex-military man he had known since childhood.

The ex-serviceman’s family, however, was less than convinced. In a subsequent decision released this month, the Parole Board noted some family members had expressed concern that Roma would be around for a family wedding.

After finding out details of his offending, the family members were worried Roma would be around children and alcohol at the celebrations. The board revoked its previous decision, which would have seen Roma released on November 23, and set a new release date after the wedding.

Roma was released on December 14, with conditions including he never consume alcohol or illicit drugs for the rest of his life, and that he observe a 10pm to 6am curfew. He must also attend alcohol and drug counselling and psychological assessment and treatment as directed.

Sensible Sentencing NZ/Anthony Lawrence Roma

 

Child murderer/pedophile denied parole.

February 21, 2012 8 comments

Luke Frederick Sibley, who in 1997 strangled and suffocated three-year-old Brittany Crothall while she slept to try to cover up the fact that he had been sexually abusing her, has been denied parole until he completes a sex offenders’ programme.

Sex offender programme ‘essential’ for convicted murderer.

A man jailed in the 1990s for the murder of a toddler will not be freed until he takes part in a sex offenders’ programme. The Parole board’s decision, released to APNZ today, found it was “essential” that Luke Frederick Sibley take part in the programme.

He was sentenced in the High Court at Christchurch to life imprisonment with a 13-year non-parole period for the murder, and for attacking the toddler’s mother with a hammer, in 1997. The board, led by Judge David Carruthers, found that although Sibley was not charged with sex offences, it had been “part of his murder.”

Judge Carruthers said a recommendation had been received from a psychologist who suggested that Sibley take part in an intensive child sex offenders’ programme, and he was on a waiting list for next year. The board also met with the murdered toddler’s mother and family.

“The central message from the victims was that he was a violent and deceitful paedophile and murderer who had committed sexual and violent crimes against an innocent three-year-old girl.” The board’s decision also noted that Sibley had confessed to having an interest in young girls.

“There is strong evidence supporting the views of the victim that he is a sexual offender and that it was this that preceded the savage murder of an innocent three-year-old and the attempted murder of her mother.” The board noted that supporters of Sibley expressed “a very great frustration” over nothing being done to help their friend.

It also questioned the quality of support and guidance of one of Sibley’s associates. “She asks in an almost unbelievable way, having regard to the brutal murder of the three-year-old, ‘how else could he have covered up what he did?’ We do not attempt to answer such a question.”

The board also noted that a psychological report assesses Sibley as being of a high-risk of violent re-offending and a moderate to low risk of sexual offending. The board said that Sibley would be re-considered for parole after completing the child sex offenders’ course.

According to a New Zealand Herald report from 1997, Sibley suffocated the three-year-old. He then attacked the girl’s 26-year-old mother with a hammer, causing her serious injuries. A neighbour rushed to her help, and police credited the neighbour at the time with saving the woman’s life.

Sibley, then just 18-years-old, was described as “horrendous, callous and cold-blooded” by the sentencing judge.

Sensible Sentencing NZ/Luke Sibley

Justice for Serenity a little closer.

January 30, 2012 11 comments

Serenity Jay Scott-Dinnington

Police have arrested Matthew Ellery and charged him with the murder of 6-month-old Serenity Jay Scott-Dinnington. Ellery was the boyfriend of Serenity’s mother Chelsea Scott at the time of Serenity’s death in April last year. Serenity’s injuries included severe brain injuries, a broken rib cage and genital injuries.

Mum’s boyfriend charged with Serenity’s murder.

The boyfriend of a Waikato mother whose 6-month-old daughter died of non-accidental injuries last April will appear in court today charged with the infant’s murder. Waikato detectives yesterday arrested Matthew Ellery and charged him with murdering Serenity Jay Scott-Dinnington at her Ngaruawahia home.

Chelsea Scott and Matthew Ellery

Last night, Serenity’s mother, Chelsea Scott, responded to news of the arrest by changing her relationship status on Facebook from ‘in a relationship’ to ‘single’.

Good to see she’s got her priorities sorted out. 1. Get myself back on the singles market. 2. Justice for my dead child.

She also posted a message saying her “beautiful baby gurl” could rest in peace now.”Rest in peace my angel. Mummy loves u always!”

Detective Senior Sergeant Mark Greene said the accused man would appear in the Hamilton District Court. Inquiries into Serenity’s death took months as detectives pored over evidence and called in overseas forensic pathologists to assist after “areas requiring further investigation” were identified.

“To get to the point where we have sufficient evidence to bring this matter before the courts highlights the hard work and long hours put in by an investigation team who always remained focused on doing what is right for a little girl, whose life ended so tragically,” said Mr Greene.

The arrest was testament to the Ngaruawahia community, who would not tolerate violence to children and had rallied behind police, he said. “It also vindicates the very strong relationship Waikato police have with Child, Youth and Family, whose assistance in this case, from start to finish, has been invaluable.”

Serenity, who had just learned to crawl, was found lying in her room with eyes half-opened at the Havelock Rd home she shared with her mother, uncle Drew Scott and Ellery. She had severe brain injuries, a broken rib cage and genital injuries.

Two days later, on April 28, family members surrounded her at the Starship in Auckland as her life support was switched off. Last night, Ellery’s Whatawhata grandfather – who helped to raise him and told the Herald last year that his grandson was innocent – said he was in shock and could not believe what had happened.

“I probably will go along to court but we don’t know what’s happening ourselves at the moment. We are very shocked,” said Mr Ellery, who has cancer.

Cherie Kurarangi-Sweeney, a former neighbour of Ms Scott, said she was pleased to hear of the arrest. Ms Sweeney, who started Nark (Nation of Advocates for the Rights of Kids) as a result of Serenity’s death, was at her Ngaruawahia home on the day the infant was found injured.

She could hear Ms Scott arguing with her brother Drew, and lots of screaming. “We would like to congratulate Waikato police for securing the evidence to make the arrest. It’s fair to say that we have been waiting for this day for a very long time.”

On January 6, Ms Scott gave birth to a child fathered by Ellery. Child, Youth and Family took the baby less than 48 hours later. Ms Scott’s 6-year-old son, Travis, has been in CYF care since the incident last year.

Hmmm, 21 with three children, oldest being 6! “NO” is obviously not a word she is familiar with.

Ellery appeared with Ms Scott on Campbell Live last year to protest his innocence and to rebut claims that he had anger issues. He said in the interview that he had tried to do CPR on Serenity. “It was too hard and it wasn’t working. Chelsea was a mess and I was shaking.”

Might that have had something to do with you knowing you had just most likely committed murder, or was it the meth?

Ms Scott was asked if she believed that Ellery was not responsible for Serenity’s death. She said: “Yes, I believe him. People haven’t seen the way Matthew is with kids.”

Ms Scott said she knew who the baby’s killer was and pointed the finger elsewhere. On Facebook earlier, she had said the killer was walking around “as if nothing had happened” and she wanted to see justice done. “I know for a fact who killed her.”