Home > Abuse, Child Abuse, Killing, Sexual Abuse > Child murderer/pedophile denied parole.

Child murderer/pedophile denied parole.

February 21, 2012 Leave a comment Go to comments

Luke Frederick Sibley, who in 1997 strangled and suffocated three-year-old Brittany Crothall while she slept to try to cover up the fact that he had been sexually abusing her, has been denied parole until he completes a sex offenders’ programme.

Sex offender programme ‘essential’ for convicted murderer.

A man jailed in the 1990s for the murder of a toddler will not be freed until he takes part in a sex offenders’ programme. The Parole board’s decision, released to APNZ today, found it was “essential” that Luke Frederick Sibley take part in the programme.

He was sentenced in the High Court at Christchurch to life imprisonment with a 13-year non-parole period for the murder, and for attacking the toddler’s mother with a hammer, in 1997. The board, led by Judge David Carruthers, found that although Sibley was not charged with sex offences, it had been “part of his murder.”

Judge Carruthers said a recommendation had been received from a psychologist who suggested that Sibley take part in an intensive child sex offenders’ programme, and he was on a waiting list for next year. The board also met with the murdered toddler’s mother and family.

“The central message from the victims was that he was a violent and deceitful paedophile and murderer who had committed sexual and violent crimes against an innocent three-year-old girl.” The board’s decision also noted that Sibley had confessed to having an interest in young girls.

“There is strong evidence supporting the views of the victim that he is a sexual offender and that it was this that preceded the savage murder of an innocent three-year-old and the attempted murder of her mother.” The board noted that supporters of Sibley expressed “a very great frustration” over nothing being done to help their friend.

It also questioned the quality of support and guidance of one of Sibley’s associates. “She asks in an almost unbelievable way, having regard to the brutal murder of the three-year-old, ‘how else could he have covered up what he did?’ We do not attempt to answer such a question.”

The board also noted that a psychological report assesses Sibley as being of a high-risk of violent re-offending and a moderate to low risk of sexual offending. The board said that Sibley would be re-considered for parole after completing the child sex offenders’ course.

According to a New Zealand Herald report from 1997, Sibley suffocated the three-year-old. He then attacked the girl’s 26-year-old mother with a hammer, causing her serious injuries. A neighbour rushed to her help, and police credited the neighbour at the time with saving the woman’s life.

Sibley, then just 18-years-old, was described as “horrendous, callous and cold-blooded” by the sentencing judge.

Sensible Sentencing NZ/Luke Sibley

Advertisements
  1. Jude Humphrey
    February 21, 2012 at 8:40 pm

    This man will and is a threat to all those around him. I cannot believe that anyone would even consider parole after what he has done. It seems as even now those working with him and his state of mental health have major concerns, should that not be enough to make sure that he never has the opportunity to re-offend.

    • February 21, 2012 at 8:55 pm

      Agree totally Jude. Criminals like this person can never be rehabilitated so should remain in prison for the rest of their lives. It disturbs me that criminals that are assessed as high risk and at the end of their sentence are then released because the law says they can’t be detained any longer. I thought the law was supposed to protect us from these people?

  2. ame lina
    May 14, 2012 at 10:50 am

    you are such a bad man leave the young kids alone ok you should go to jail for your life

  3. Jayne
    August 20, 2013 at 5:41 pm

    Hi Mike can you please remove this from the “Bad Boyfriend” Category Sibley was NEVER my boyfriend and it makes me feel sick to see it there

    Also a great update is that we managed to get a 3 year postponement on the next Parole Hearing so he won’t be seen by the board until 2015

    The woman who said the ridiculous comments about him having to kill Brittany to cover up the sexual offending was his MOTHER!!

    Thanks

    Keep up the good work 🙂

    Jayne

    • August 27, 2013 at 1:33 pm

      No problem Jayne.

  4. [name removed]
    August 8, 2014 at 6:57 am

    [comment removed]

    • Jayne
      August 8, 2014 at 5:00 pm

      Mike, can you remove that disgusting lie from the above “phedophile”

      • August 13, 2014 at 2:14 pm

        Sure thing Jayne, my apologies for not picking this up as trolling. BTW I have updated the SST link in the article.

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: